J. GAINES WILSON
Jeff Wilson, PhD
College of Science, Math and Technology
Assistant Professor of Environmental Science
PhD, University of Canterbury (NZ)
MS, Texas State University
BS, Texas A & M University
Recipient, University of Texas System Regents' Outstanding Teaching Award, 2011
Wilson Regents' Award Profile
Talk at Regents Meeting (as top scoring portfolio in Assistant Professor category)
CLASSES TAUGHT/DEVELOPED (Since 2001):
Fundamentals of GIS; Management and Implementation of GIS; The Restless City; Geography, Health and Welfare; Global Environmental Change; Environmental Hazards and Management; Quantitative Methods; Earth Science (Physical Geography); Conservation of Natural Resources; Research Problems in Environmental Science; World Regional Geography.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Publications:
28. Wan, Neng, J. Gaines Wilson, F.B. Zhan, and B. Zou. 2012 (in press). Spatial Access to Healthcare Services and Disparities in Colorectal Cancer Stage at Diagnosis in Texas. The Professional Geographer.
27. Tian, Nancy*, Pierre Goovaerts, F. Benjamin Zhan, Edwin Chow, and J. Gaines Wilson. 2012 (in press). Racial and geographic disparities in female breast cancer mortality in Texas: Does proximity to mammography facilities matter? Women’s Health Issues.
26. Salinas, J.J., B. Adelbary*, J. Gaines Wilson, J. McCormick, and S. Fisher-Hoch. 2012 (in press). Using the Framingham Risk Score to Evaluate Cardiovascular Disease Risk in Poor Mexican Americans on the Texas-Mexico Border. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved.
25. Salinas, J.J., B. Adelbary*, J .Brinkworth**, M. Hossain, S. Fisher-Hoch, A. Rentfro, J. McCormick, and J. Gaines Wilson. 2012 (in press). Mexican Cultural Neighborhood Environment and Diabetes Risk in Mexican Americans. Hispanic Health Care International.
24. Zou, B*, Y. Zeng, F.B. Zhan, J. Gaines Wilson, K. Wu, and F. Peng. 2011. Spatial-temporal variations of regional ambient sulfur dioxide concentration and its source contribution analysis: a dispersion modeling approach. Atmospheric Environment (Online): 1-9.
23. Tian, N*, J. Gaines Wilson and F.B. Zhan. Spatial association of racial/ethnic disparities between late-stage diagnosis and mortality for female breast cancer: where to intervene? 2011. International Journal of Health Geographics 10:24.
22. Wilson, J. Gaines, J. Benavides, A. Reisinger, J. Lemen, J. Spangler, and K. Engle. 2010. Demographic disparities associated with the US-Mexico border fence in Cameron County, Texas. The Southwestern Geographer 14: 41-55. [PDF]*
21. Wilson, J. Gaines, J. Ballou, C. Yan, S.P. Fisher-Hoch, et al. 2010. Utilizing spatiotemporal analysis of influenza-like illness and rapid tests to focus swine-origin influenza virus intervention. Health and Place 16: 1230-9. [PDF]*
20. N. Tian, P. Goovaerts, F. B. Zhan, and J. Gaines Wilson. 2010. Identification of racial disparities in breast cancer mortality: does scale matter? International Journal of Health Geographics 9:35.[PDF]*
19. McCormick, J. B., C. Yan, J. Ballou, Y. Salinas, B. Reininger, J. Gay, F. Cavillo, J. Gaines Wilson, L. Lopez, and S. P. Fisher-Hoch. 2010. Local response to H1N1 in a US Mexico border community: local experience with the national preparedness plan. Biosecurity and Bioterrorism: Biodefense Strategy, Practice, and Science 8(3): 1-10. [PDF]*
18. Zou, B., F. B. Zhan, J. Gaines Wilson, and Y. Zeng. 2010. Performance of AERMOD at different temporal scales. Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory 18: 612-23. [PDF]*
17. Fisher-Hoch, Susan, A.R. Rentfro, J.J. Salinas, A. Perez, H.S. Brown, B.M. Reininger, B.I. Restrapo, J. Gaines Wilson, M.M. Hossain, M.H. Rahbar, C.M. Hanis, J.B. McCormick. 2010. Socioeconomic status and prevalence of obesity and diabetes in a Mexican American community, Cameron County, Texas. Preventing Chronic Diseases 7(3): 1-10. [PDF]*
16. Tian, Nancy, J. Gaines Wilson, and F. B. Zhan. 2010. Female breast cancer mortality clusters within racial groups in the United States. Health and Place 16: 209-18. [PDF]*
15. Wilson, J. Gaines, S. Kingham and J. Pearce. 2010. Air pollution and restricted activity days among New Zealand school children. International Journal of Environment and Pollution 41: 140-154. [PDF]*
14. Zou, B., J. Gaines Wilson, F. B. Zhan, and Y. Zeng. 2009. Spatially differentiated and source specific population exposure to ambient urban air pollution. Atmospheric Environment 43: 3981 - 3988. [PDF]*
13. Zou, B.,J. Gaines Wilson, F.B. Zhan and Y. Zeng. 2009. Air pollution exposure assessment methods utilized in epidemiological studies. Journal of Environmental Monitoring 11: 475-490. [PDF]*
12. Zou, B., J. Gaines Wilson and F.B. Zhan. 2009. An emission-weighted proximity model for air pollution exposure assessment. Science of the Total Environment 407: 4939-4945. [PDF]*
11. Cavanaugh, J., P. Zawar-Reza and J. Gaines Wilson. 2009. Spatial attenuation of ambient particulate matter air pollution within an urbanised native forest patch. Urban Forestry and Urban Greening 8: 21-30. [PDF]*
10. Arku, Raphael E., J. Vallarino, K. L. Dionisio, H. Choi, R. Willis, J. Gaines Wilson, C. Hemphill, A. Quaye, S. Agyei-Mensah, J. Spengler, and M. Ezzati. 2008. Characterizing air pollution in two low-income neighborhoods in Accra, Ghana. Science of the Total Environment 402: 217-31. PDF*
9. Sabel, C. E., J. Gaines Wilson, S. Kingham, C. Tisch, and M. Epton. 2007. Spatial implications of covariate adjustment on patterns of risk: Respiratory hospital admissions in Christchurch, New Zealand. Social Science and Medicine 65: 43-59. PDF*
8. Wilson, J. Gaines and P. Zawar-Reza. 2006. Intraurban-scale dispersion modelling of particulate matter concentrations: Applications for exposure estimates in cohort studies. In Harmonisation within Atmospheric Dispersion Modelling for Regulatory Purposes. Crete, Greece.
7. Wilson, J. Gaines, S. Kingham, and A. Sturman. 2006. Intraurban variations of particulate matter air pollution in Christchurch, New Zealand: Implications for epidemiological studies. Science of the Total Environment 367: 559-72. PDF*
6. Wilson, J. Gaines and P. Zawar-Reza. 2006. Intraurban-scale dispersion modelling of particulate matter concentrations: Applications for exposure estimates in cohort studies. Atmospheric Environment 40: 1053-63. PDF*
5. Durand, M. and J. Gaines Wilson. 2006. Spatial analysis of respiratory disease clusters on an urbanized geothermal field. Environmental Research 101: 238-45. PDF*
4. Kingham, Simon, M. Durand, J. Harrison, J. Gaines Wilson, and M. Epton. 2006. Winter comparison of TEOM, MiniVol and DustTrak PM10 monitors in a wood smoke environment. Atmospheric Environment 40: 338-47. PDF*
3. Durand, M. and J. Gaines Wilson. 2006. Ball lightning and fireballs during volcanic air pollution. Weather 61: 40-3.
2. Wilson, J. Gaines, S. Kingham, J. Pearce, and A. Sturman. 2005. Intraurban particulate air pollution and restricted activity days in New Zealand school children. Epidemiology 16: S136.
1. Wilson, J. Gaines, S. Kingham, J. Pearce, and A. Sturman. 2005. A review of intraurban variations in particulate air pollution: Implications for epidemiological research. Atmospheric Environment 39: 6444. PDF*
*Full-text articles are to be used exclusively for educational purposes and are not to be reproduced or distributed in any form, electronic or otherwise.