One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Financial aid

How do I apply for Financial Aid?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on-line at Code UTB/TSC on your FAFSA (code:030646) Note: Must have a U.S. Department of Education PIN to apply on line. Request at

Do I need to apply every year?

Yes. One application must be completed each academic school year.

When does repayment begin on my student loan?

6 months after graduation OR six months after you fall below half-time status (whichever occurs first)

Are there any other types of grants or assistance I can apply for to help pay for my tuition?

Yes. There is the ACG grant, the SMART grant and scholarships. When completing the FAFSA on line you will be asked to answer a few questions. If you meet the criteria, you will be considered for the grant. A separate application is not needed for consideration. To be considered for scholarships, please visit our Scholarship website and follow the instructions given to apply for a particular scholarship.

Do I need to apply again for the summer?

No. Our school year begins with the Fall term and continues through the 2nd Summer Session. HOWEVER, you must complete and submit the Summer Award Request form on line at which should be available in February in the on-line forms section of the website. Submitting this form will notify our office what intentions you have for summer enrollment and what types of assistance you are interested in.

How many hours must I enroll for in order to be considered for Financial Aid?

While many financial aid awards are available for half-time (6-8 hours) students, some programs have additional enrollment requirements. For example, the Academic Competitiveness Grant and the TSC Challenge for Excellence Endowment are only available to full-time students. Check out details and requirements of different programs on the FA Programs website.

I will be transferring to another school, Does my financial aid transfer to the school I will be attending?

No. We recommend that you contact that school to verify other processing requirements.

What are the consequences if I drop a class or completely withdraw from UTB/TSC?

You may not be making satisfactory academic progress; therefore, you may not be eligible for additional financial aid. You may also be required to repay funds received during the semester if you drop or completely withdraw from classes. See section on Return of Title IV funds.

What is the status on my Financial Aid?

Use Scorpion Online or contact the Financial Aid Office at 882-8277 to verify if your file is complete. You can also e-mail us at Keep in mind that only general information will be disclosed over the phone. For specific details about your file or awards, visit the Financial Aid Office at Tandy 206. Two photo ID(s) are required.

When can I pick up my grant balance? Loan balance?

Most grant balances will be mailed to the student’s mailing address or deposited to their UTB/TSC Sting Card account on or after the first class day. NOTE: Financial Aid deadlines must have been met!

For more information contact the Financial Aid Office.

  • image 1
For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.