Welcome to the Allied Health Department of the College of Biomedical Sciences and Health Professions. The department consists of (5) Allied Health Associate Degree Programs, the Health Services Core Curriculum Courses, and the Bachelor of Applied Technology Program (B.A.T). The (5) Allied Health Programs include: Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program, Emergency Medical Science Program, Medical Laboratory Technology Program, Radiologic Technology Program, and Respiratory Care Program. All of the AAS programs utilize community clinical affiliate sites to provide students a quality education in their prospective allied health profession.
The mission of the Allied Health Department reflects the mission of both The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College and the College of Biomedical Sciences and Health Professions by providing high quality education opportunities to students of the Lower Rio Grande Valley and those enrolled in distance education. The Allied Health Department Mission Statement is supported by qualified faculty, clinical instructors/preceptors, professionals in each designated area of expertise, and physicians committed to education. Through one or more of its individual Allied Health Programs the department seeks:
- To prepare graduates with employable skills as an entry level health care professional
- To prepare graduates to be successful in the certification examination of the designated professional area
- To cultivate professional ethics and standard of practice for each individual professional program
- To provide workforce training, continuing education, and lifelong learning to students
- To promote service through active participation in professional and community organizations and activities directly related to each professional area
For more information on the Allied Health Department, please contact us directly at 956-882-5011.
Dr. Marti Flores
Chair, Allied Health Department