Welcome to the College of Biomedical Sciences and Health Professions (CBSHP). This is a unique college that integrates the study of medical fields, research, and the health professions. We are developing new programs that will prepare you well for careers in any of these professional fields.
As the Interim Dean of the CBHP, I am pleased that you are considering a career as a health professional or medical scientist; professions of great demand, today and tomorrow! Our College offers programs that lead to licensure in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Emergency Medical Science, Medical Laboratory Technology, Radiologic Technology, and Respiratory Care; it prepares students seeking to become research scientists, physicians, physicians’’ assistants, dentists, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists and many other of the other estimated 200 health professions.
Healthcare and medical research is expected to grow tremendously over the next half century. The employment statistics are staggering; projections show an expected shortage of as many as 2.5 million allied health professionals by 2020, and physicians, biomedical scientists and myriad of other medically-related professionals are in high demand.
If you are thinking about embarking on a health professions career, consider these facts about the UTB/TSC programs:
- All of our health professions programs are nationally accredited.
- More than 90 percent of CBSHP graduates pass their national examinations, enabling them to qualify for advanced employment in accredited hospitals and medical facilities.
- We are the only university within The University of Texas System that offers certificates and associate degree programs in the health professions.
- Many current health professionals continue their studies, entirely online, turning an AAS degree in a health field into a Bachelor of Applied Technology (B.A.T.) degree; permitting further progression to the Master’s and doctorate levels in medical fields and biomedical research.
- Typically, our CBSHP graduates are offered employment in their healthcare field, often before finishing their studies.
- Many of our students continue into various medical fields and graduate programs of biomedicine.
I welcome you to explore the allied health and biomedical career programs available at UTB. If you have questions, please contact my office, 956-882-5000, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our knowledgeable advisors are here to guide you into a satisfying and well-paying career.