Ring Ceremony Student Speaker and Master of Ceremonies
The student Master of Ceremonies is a new tradition of The University of Texas at Brownsville. During the fall and spring semester a graduating senior is selected to address those participating in our Ring Ceremony tradition. The honor is among the highest distinctions a student on this campus can receive.
The Student Master of Ceremonies will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Graduating Senior (December 2013, May 2014, or Summer 2014) with a minimum GPA of 3.00.
- Already has or will receive their official UT Brownsville Ring.
- Is well spoken and able to capture the meaning behind the honor of wearing our university ring through the role as the MC and a student speech (2-3 minutes).
- Must be able to attend the Ring Ceremony on Friday, May 2, 2014 (arrival time is 4pm)
The Applicant must turn in the following items by Friday, April 4, 2014:
- Complete Application Cover Page
- Submit a written proposed 2-3 minute speech.
- Submit a one-page personal statement. Provide information about yourself (academic awards, membership in student organizations & honor societies, community service & involvement, career goals) as well as your reason for wishing to be the Master of Ceremonies for the Ring Ceremony.
- Submit a resume
- Include two letters of recommendation (e.g., dean, professors, employees and/or community service representatives). The letters of recommendations must reflect the applicant’s strongest qualities.
Selected applicants will be required to present their speeches to the Student Leadership Advisory Board.
Once chosen, the student speaker will work with the Office of Student Engagement to rehearse the speech in preparation for the Ring Ceremony on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 5pm.
DEADLINE: Friday, April 4, 2014
RETURN TO: The Office of Student Engagement