Borrowing Materials – Students
Responsibility of Borrowers
- To borrow materials, all patrons must present a valid UTB or TSC ID CARD. The ID card must be in good condition plus your name, ID number and picture must be visible.
- Borrowers are responsible for returning materials on time and in good condition. As a courtesy, overdue notices will be sent to students via their email accounts.
- Library materials should be returned to a staff member at the Library & Research Services Desk located on the first floor of the University Library, or through the book depository located outside of the library building.
- Borrowers will be charged a $15.00 fee for each badly damaged item needing repairs. A full-time library staff member will determine the extent of an item's damage. Damage can include, but is not limited to, water damage, stains, writing or highlighting, burns, missing pages, broken spine, or scratches.
- When materials are overdue/lost and/or fines are not paid, Students will be barred from borrowing additional library materials, and a hold will be placed on the student's admissions account. This blocks registration and the release of transcripts.
- Materials not available in the library can be requested through Interlibrary Loan Services.
Loan Periods for Library Materials
- General Collection:
||21 day loan period
||10 books max|
||28 day loan period
||20 books max |
- Reserve Materials: specified by instructor.
- Books can be renewed online through My Library Account, in person or over the telephone.
- If books are overdue, you will not be allowed to renew material until book(s) are brought to the Library and Research Services Desk to clear overdue fines.
Fines for Lost/Late Materials
- $ 0.30 per book per day late
- $30.00 maximum late fee for general collection
- $20.00 maximum late fee for reserve materials
- LOST BOOKS: cost of replacement plus $30.00 administrative fee
- LOST STUDY ROOM KEY: cost of replacement $10.00
- LOST CALCULATOR: cost of replacement ($100) plus $30.00 administrative fee
- In the event that the lost material(s) are found within a six month period, only the cost of the material(s) will be refunded. The $30.00 processing fee per item is not included in the refund.
Confidentiality of Library Records
The University of Texas at Brownsville Library Services protects the confidentiality of every individual’s personal information, circulation records and use of library materials and resources. Such records shall not be made available to anyone other than that person, except under court order or other form of due process which has been reviewed and approved by the Academic Legal Affairs Division.
For further information concerning the confidentiality of library records visit the following web site: Patriot Act.