One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

hazlewood act

Students who qualify under the Hazelwood Act are exempted from paying tuition and required fees provided the student is enrolled in a state-funded program. Exemption forms and guidelines are available on the College for Texans website.

A request for exemption under Hazlewood must be submitted to the Veterans Services every semester. Requests must be submitted one month prior to the start of any term. Those dates are available in the academic calendar.

Effective Fall 2014, veterans and dependents of veterans rated unemployable by the VA must meet satisfactory academic progress as determined by Financial Aid.
Texas state law (SB 1210, passed in 2014) requires veterans/dependents receiving the Hazelwood exemption to maintain a certain standard of academic progress to remain eligible for the exemption.  These standards are outlined under the University of Texas at Brownsville Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy for financial aid. Beginning in Fall 2014, a Hazelwood recipient under Financial Aid suspension cannot receive the Hazelwood exemption again until they are granted probation through improved grades or an approved  appeal.

Click here for more information on veterans services at UTB.

  • Students playing guitar
For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.