Facts at your Fingertips
Founded: Established in 1991 as a unique educational agreement between The University of Texas System and the Texas Southmost College District, the partnership began operating with one administration in January 1992.
Philosophy: UTB is committed to excellence. It is dedicated to stewardship, service, openness, accessibility, efficiency and citizenship. UTB is committed to students, participatory governance, liberal education, the expansion of the application of knowledge, human dignity, the convening of cultures and respect for the environment.
Governance: The board of regents, the governing body for The University of Texas System, is composed of nine members who are appointed by the governor and confirmed by the Senate. In addition, the governor appoints a student regent for a one-year term.
The board of trustees, the governing body of the Texas Southmost College District, is composed of seven members who are elected at large from the district.
The Partnership Advisory Committee, composed of three trustees and the Academic Affairs Committee of the board of regents meets at least annually to discuss the progress and direction of the partnership.
Resource Growth (1991 - present):
- Full-time Faculty Headcount: 184 to 398
- State Appropriations: $15 million to $46 million
- Total Assets: $55 million to $393 million
- Land, Buildings and Equipment: $16 million to $268 million
Enrollment: Total enrollment growth of 7,358 to 17,151 (1992 - present)
Scholarships and Financial Aid Awarded:
- TSC Challenge for Excellence Scholarships (since 1995): nearly $4 million
- Trustees Scholarship (since 2004): $17 million
- Pell Grants (since 2004): $124 million
Types of Degrees and Certificates Offered (1991 - present):
- Certificate: up 30 percent, 20 to 26
- Associate: doubled, 19 to 35
- Bachelor's: tripled, 13 to 48
- Master's: quadrupled, 6 to 22
- Doctorate: Doctor of Education (Ed.D), since 2007
Number of Degrees and Certificates Awarded (since 1993):
- Certificate: doubled, 139 to 214
- Associate: tripled, 317 to 921
- Bachelor's: quadrupled, 235 to 987
- Master's: quintupled, 42 to 221
External Research Expenditures (1991 - present): $20,000 to $5 million
Did you know?
- Awarded 2,425 nursing certificates and degrees to date
- Opened seven state-of-the-art buildings in the last six years
- Competed in national tournament in soccer and volleyball in 2010
- Competed in The President's Cup, the "Final Four of College Chess," in 2009 and 2010
- Honored by music students invited to participate in two U.S. presidential Inaugurations
- Home to five centers of excellence: Institute for Human Health, Center for Gravitational Wave Astronomy, Center for Sustainable Communities*, Center for Border and Transnational Studies*, and Center for Teaching and Learning*.