When you’re blocks away from another country, words like intercultural and international describe everyday life. At UTB, those words also describe the cultural mosaic our community is built on and an integral part of our student body. We’re proud to host hundreds of international students and renowned faculty each year and will continue to welcome and embrace diversity on our campus.
Applicants actively seeking a degree at a college or university, or “home institution” other than UTB, may be considered for admission to UTB as transient students. Transient enrollment is limited to one semester or term only. Transient students are nondegree-seeking and are not eligible for financial aid. Transient students must abide by the satisfactory academic progress standards of their home Institution and not those of UTB. Applicants who wish to attend UTB for more than one consecutive semester or term, or to seek a degree from UTB, must apply for admission as transfer students.
At all times, transient students are solely responsible for selecting courses at UTB that will transfer and meet the requirements of their home institution.
Download the Admission Checklist for Transient Students (PDF)
STEP 1: ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must be in good academic standing and eligible to return to their home institution and must remain enrolled at the home institution during the semester or term that immediately precedes the semester or term spent at UTB.
Summer I 2014
- Regular Admissions Deadline: April 1, 2014
- Late Admissions Deadline: May 17, 2014
Summer II 2014
- Regular Admissions Deadline: April 1, 2014
- Late Admissions Deadline: June 22, 2014
A $15 late fee will apply to applications submitted after the priority deadline.
STEP 2: IMMUNIZATION
All new entering students, defined as first-time freshman, transfer and returning students who have been enrolled at an institution of higher education prior to January 1, 2012 and are enrolling after a long semester (fall, spring) break, must provide The University of Texas at Brownsville’s Student Health Services with one of the following in order to clear admission requirements:
- Certification from a health care practitioner evidencing that the student has received the vaccination or booster for bacterial meningitis five (5) years prior to enrolling in the University and at least ten (10) days prior to the first day of class; (UTB Proof of Immunization Compliance form) or
- A certificate from a health care practitioner stating the vaccination for bacterial meningitis would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student;or
- An affidavit indicating that the vaccination for bacterial meningitis has been declined for reasons of conscience.
For new students NOT living or residing in on-campus housing, who wish to file an affidavit stating that the student declines the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, the student may use the official Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s form . The student must print the form, have it notarized, and file it with Transfer Services, Main, Room 1.100.
For new students living in on-campus housing, which includes student housing facilities located on the campus of an institution of higher education, such as dormitories, sorority and fraternity houses, privately owned residence halls, and apartments, the student must use the official Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) form. A completed, notarized "Exemption from Immunization for Reasons of Conscience" form from the Texas Department of State Health Services must be used. The only approved form for this exemption for student living in on-campus housing can be found here. If the student is age 18 or older, they can complete the form themselves, listing themselves as the parent or legal guardian.
If you are unable to receive the meningitis vaccination from a local health care practitioner, UTB Student Health Services provides the vaccination for the following:
- Students under 19: $5.00 (US dollars)
- Students 19 and over: $109.00 (US dollars)
Students who do not meet the meningitis vaccination requirement prior to the Admission deadlines will not be cleared for admittance and should prepare for enrollment into the following semester.
Please note that the vaccination requirements do not apply to those students who are enrolled in only on-line classes or other distance education courses or are 22 years of age or older prior to first day of class.
For more information please visit our Student Health Services, or call 956-882-3896 or Texas Education Code.
STEP 3: SUBMIT REQUIRED DOCUMENTS
By the applicable deadline for the selected semester or term, submit the following to the UTB Office of Transfer Student Relations and Off-Campus Teaching Sites:
- Apply at UTB for the appropriate semester or term through ApplyTexas (Part I “Transient Student Application”). Applications must be received on or before the posted deadline.
- Submit one of the following:
- Completed transient student form signed and dated by an authorized official of the home institution
- Official transcript from the home institution that reflects enrollment during the semester, term or quarter immediately preceding the proposed semester or term to be spent at UTB, as well as proof of meeting the requirements for transient student admission to UTB.
- Proof of Residency
- Submit residency documents to the Office of Transfer Student Relations. Residency status will affect your tuition rate. All residency documents must include your name and address and must be dated 12 months prior to the 1st class day. Examples of proof of residency include:
- Valid permanent Texas driver’s license or ID card
- Lease agreement
- Texas voter registration card
- Utility bill
- Texas high school or college transcript
- Property tax statement or receipt
- Bank statement
- Employer statement indicating dates of employment
NOTE: If you are a naturalized citizen or legal resident alien, please provide your naturalization certificate or resident alien card.
*Send all documents to: The University of Texas at Brownsville, Transfer Services, Main 1.100, One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520