One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Vendor Payments for Food

Expenditures of funds for food and/or refreshments are permitted only when there is a demonstrable benefit to the University and when the expenditure complies with one or more direct purposes as described on HOP 10.5.2 – Business Expense Policy.

Departments should follow these steps when serving food and/or refreshments for a University-related purposes:

  • Select vendor and obtain estimate.
  • Submit a Requisition to Purchase in the amount of the estimate to the Purchasing Office to obtain a Purchase Order (PO) number.
  • Forward PO to vendor to confirm order.
  • After services are rendered, obtain a final invoice from the vendor.
  • Submit invoice along with a Payment Voucher for Food Purchased for Business Purposes to the Accounting and Finance Office. Be sure to include the PO number on the form.

Departments anticipating the use of the same food vendor for multiple occasions during a fiscal year can request a Blanket Purchase Order (or Open PO) to be issued instead.

Payments for food and/or refreshments can only be made from Discretionary Funds (non-state funds) and require the prior approval of the appropriate Account Manager and Vice President.

For more information, see the Resources section or contact the Accounting and Finance Office at 956-882-8202.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.