One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Student Work-Study Allowance Program

Who is eligible? You are, if you're training full-time or 3/4-time in college degree, vocational, or professional program. A work-study allowance is available under most education benefits programs.

How much can I earn? You can earn the federal minimum wage or your State minimum wage, whichever is greater. The total hours you can work cannot be more than 25 time the number of weeks in your enrollment period. If you elect to receive an advance payment, VA will make your first payment in advance for 40 percent of the total number of your work-study hours. But the advance payment and any following payments can't be for more than 50 hours. (If you elect not to receive an advance payment, VA will compensate you for those hours after you work them.)

What type of work may I do? You may do the following types of VA-related work:

  • VA paperwork at schools or VA offices;
  • Outreach services under the VA supervision;
  • Work at VA? medical facilities or National Cemetery System offices;


  • Work at Department of Defense facilities related to education benefits under the GI Bill.

How do I apply?

Complete an application and submit it to the Work-Study site Supervisor.​

  • Sculpture of kids reading
  • Stone outside
For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.