The University of Texas at Brownsville awards the following baccalaureate degrees:
- Bachelor of Applied Arts and Sciences (BAAS)
- Bachelor of Applied Technology (BAT)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)
- Bachelor of Arts in Interdisciplinary Studies (BAIS)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Bachelor of Science (BS)
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice (BSCJ)
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN)
- Bachelor of Music (BM)
- Bachelor of Arts in Communication (BACOMM)
- Bachelor of Multidisciplinary Studies (BMS)
All course requirements for a baccalaureate degree in any of the disciplines are established within the College, School, or Department in which the discipline falls. For a complete listing of baccalaureate degrees, please see the Undergraduate Catalog.
Specific requirements for each major field are listed in the catalog sections dealing with these majors. It is the responsibility of students to be familiar with all the requirements for the degree.
- A minimum of 120-124 semester credit hours, including a minimum of 36 advanced hours, is required, with an overall minimum grade point average of 2.000 on all coursework (including developmental and transfer coursework) For School of Business BBA majors, a 2.500 GPA overall is required.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.000 in the Core Curriculum, the major field and the minor field is required. For School of Business BBA majors, a 2.500 GPA is required in the upper division core and major.
- A minimum grade point average of 2.000 on all coursework used to satisfy degree plan requirements.
- Students may meet the requirements for graduation in the catalog of the year in which they enter UTB/TSC, or some later catalog. However, students must graduate within eight years from the academic year of entrance or they will be placed under the provisions of a later catalog.
- A major field of concentration requires a minimum of 24 semester credit hours, with at least 15 hours of advanced-level work; A minor field requires at least 18 semester credit hours with a minimum of nine semester hours of advanced-level work; Courses may not be used to satisfy a requirement for both a major and a minor or for two majors or for two minors.
- The major-minor or broad-field major course distribution must follow the requirements set forth by the various departments, subject to any limitations and requirements noted under the baccalaureate degrees and these Graduation Requirements, or in published form issued by the various departments.
- A minimum of 25 percent of semester credit hours must be completed in residence at UTB/TSC before it will be conferred. In the case of undergraduate degree programs offered through joint, cooperative, or consortia agreements, the student must earn at least 25 percent of credits from the participating institutions.
- At least 15 semester credit hours of advanced course work (level 3000, 4000) in the major field of study must be completed in residence.
- A maximum of 45 semester credit hours of college credit will be accepted towards a baccalaureate degree by any combination of extension, examination and correspondence credit with an 18-hour limit on correspondence credit. Exception for BAT/BAAS: a technical block of 35 to 37 hours (of an AAS degree) and the General Education Core are transferable.
- Students must submit a complete graduation application packet to the Office of the Registrar in Tandy Hall 105 by the appropriate deadline. Students must pay the required $25 fee at the Accounting and Finance Office before submitting the packet.
The complete graduation application packet includes:
- Application for Graduation - Baccalaureate
- Degree Plan Signed by an Academic Advisor (degree plan may not be from an Undergraduate Catalog more than 8 years old)
- Copies of Course Substitution Forms (if applicable)
- Proof of Payment