One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Transfer Student


Every year more and more students transfer from other institutions to UTB/TSC. 'Why,' you ask. Maybe it’s because we’re a one-of-a-kind community university just steps from Mexico and a few miles from the sandy beaches of South Padre Island. Or maybe it’s because UTB/TSC offers a unique, bicultural educational experience that’s a world apart from any other school.

No matter where you may have started, once you set foot on Scorpion territory, you are immediately part of the UTB/TSC community and about to embark on something extraordinary.

(Students who have college credit only through dual enrollment classes should follow the process for first-time freshmen.)

Transfer Coursework

Below are the application and registration steps for transfer students:


All new entering students, defined as first-time freshman, transfer and returning students who have been enrolled at an institution of higher education prior to January 1, 2012 and are enrolling after a long semester (fall, spring) break, must provide The University of Texas at Brownsville’s Student Health Services with one of the following in order to clear admission requirements:

  1. Certification from a health care practitioner evidencing the student has received the vaccination or booster for bacterial meningitis five (5) years prior to enrolling in the University and at least ten (10) days before the first day of class; or
  2. A certificate from a health care practitioner stating the vaccination for bacterial meningitis  would be injurious to the health and well-being of the student; or
  3. An affidavit indicating the vaccination for bacterial meningitis has been declined for reasons of conscience.

    For new students NOT living or residing in on-campus housing, who wish to file an affidavit stating that the student declines the vaccination for bacterial meningitis for reasons of conscience, the student may use the official Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board’s form . The student must print the form, have it notarized, and file it with the Office of Transfer Student Relations, Tandy Hall 116.

    For new students living in on-campus housing, which includes student housing facilities located on the campus of an institution of higher education, such as dormitories, sorority and fraternity houses, privately owned residence halls, and apartments, the student must use the official Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) form. A completed, notarized "Exemption from Immunization for Reasons of Conscience" form from the Texas Department of State Health Services must be used.  The only approved form for this exemption for student living in on-campus housing can be found here. If the student is age 18 or older, they can complete the form themselves, listing themselves as the parent or legal guardian.

If you are unable to receive the meningitis vaccination from a local health care practitioner, UTB Student Health Services provides the vaccination for the following:

  • Students under 19: $5.00 (US dollars)
  • Student 19 and over: $110.00 (US dollars)

Students who do not meet the meningitis vaccination requirement prior to the Admission deadlines will not be cleared for admittance and should prepare for enrollment into the following semester.

Please note that the vaccination requirements do not apply to those students who are enrolled in only on-line classes or other distance education courses or are 22 years of age or older prior to first day of class.

Effective: Spring 2012

For more information please visit our Student Health Services, or call 956-882-3896 or Texas Education Code.




Disclaimer: The University of Texas at Brownsville is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award certificate, associate, bachelor, master and doctoral degrees. Texas Southmost College is a part of The University of Texas at Brownsville and is currently seeking separate accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.


Transfer Student Relations

Office Hours

Mon. to Fri., 8 a.m to 5 p.m.

Campus Location: Tandy Hall, Room 116

Mailing Address: 80 Fort Brown

Brownsville, TX 78520

Phone: 956.882.7812


Fax: 956.882.4198



For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.