One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

Vendor Payments for Food

Expenditures of funds for food and/or refreshments are permitted only when there is a demonstrable benefit to the University and when the expenditure complies with one or more direct purposes as described on HOP 10.5.2 – Business Expense Policy.

Departments should follow these steps when serving food and/or refreshments for a University-related purposes:

  • Select a vendor and obtain estimate
  • Complete a Requisition in PeopleSoft
  • Attach copy of estimate
  • The following steps will be necessary until the workflow functionality is available in PeopleSoft:
  • Print the Requisition and obtain the necessary approvals
  • Scan a copy of the signed Requisition to
  • Log into PeopleSoft, select the appropriate Requisition, and click “Submit”

Once services are rendered, units need to follow these steps to pay vendors:

Departments anticipating the use of the same food vendor for multiple occasions during a fiscal year can request an “Amount Only Requisition” (similar to a Blanket PO in DataTel) to be issued instead.

For instructions on creating Requisitions in PeopleSoft, review the training materials and UPK available in the Resources section of this procedure.

Payments for food and/or refreshments can only be made from Discretionary Funds (non-state funds) and require the prior approval of the appropriate Department Manager and Vice President.

For more information, see the Resources section or contact the Accounting and Finance Office at 956-882-7050 and 882-7804.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.