UTB/TSC recognizes the need for orderly management and retrieval of all official records and for a documented records retention and destruction schedule congruent with all state and federal laws and regulations. Therefore, in accordance with HOP 10.2.7 – Records Management and Retention and Texas Government Code, Chapter 441 – Libraries and Archives, the following procedure has been established for storage and retrieval of documents.
Departments wishing to send records to storage must submit the following documents to Records Management:
- A completed Records Inventory Worksheet per item (box).
- A Records Retention Schedule - Form SLR 105 (only one form is needed, regardless of the number of boxes to be stored). Records Management staff reviews the documents and works with the department if any changes are needed.
- Once the documents are in order, the department must submit a Records Management Work Order to indicate to Records Management staff that one or more boxes are ready to be stored.
The department is responsible for maintaining records of the documents that are sent to storage in their Records Retention Schedule.
To request the retrieval of documents from storage must:
- Submit to Records Management a copy of the Records Inventory Worksheet and the Records Retention Schedule - Form SLR 105 that correspond to the box(es) you are wishing to retrieve.
- Provide the name of the requestor, telephone number, department and specific office location where box(es) should be delivered. Records Management will notify the requesting office of the date when delivery will be made.
- Upon delivery, Records Management will require the requesting office to sign off on the receipt of the box(es). Documents are picked up by Records Management within 10 days of delivery, unless other arrangements are made.
- If the document(s) are moved to another location outside the requesting department’s office, a notification in writing must be issued to the Records Management Office.
Documents that have met their retention period or that are not required to be kept in storage can be disposed by submitting a Request for Authority to Dispose of State Records form to Records Management. No documents will be destroyed without approval from Records Management.
NOTE: A state record may not be destroyed if any litigation, claim, negotiation, audit, open records request, administrative review, or other action involving the record is initiated before the expiration of a record’s retention period. The state record may be destroyed after the action is complete or when the retention period expires, whichever is later.
The Texas State Library and Archives Commission or the agency’s approved records retention schedule sets the record retention periods.
The Program Director for Records Management handles all matters in Records Management on behalf of the Vice President for Business Affairs. For additional information, contact Leonel Yanez at 956-882-5966 or Leonel.Yanez@utb.edu.