One West University Boulevard, Brownsville, Texas 78520 | 956-882-8200

International Travel

International travel refers to travel to any country outside of the United States, Mexico, Canada, and U.S. possessions. Employees planning international travel are required to:

  • submit a PeopleSoft Travel Authorization with appropriate approvals and
  • Register with International SOS

The Travel Authorization form is used to obtain approval from the employee’s department manager, appropriate dean (if employee requesting travel is a faculty member), appropriate vice president, and provost. The form must be submitted to the Purchasing Office at least 30 days prior to departure.

The University of Texas System requires employees traveling outside the continental United States to register with International SOS. Services are available at no cost to individuals traveling on official University business. Employees must log in to the International SOS website to register. The University’s membership number is required for registration. The number can be obtained by contacting the Purchasing Office. Family members accompanying employees can receive a 20 percent discount on International SOS coverage.

International travelers must always carry their University ID and SOS membership card. Printable SOS membership cards are available on the International SOS website. When traveling on federal grant funds, the Fly America Act must be met.

For more information regarding international travel procedures, see the Resources section or contact the Purchasing Office at 956-882-6553.

For comments and questions, please contact the Webmaster.